Open Education Resources (OER) can do the job right only if used effectively. Yes, they are budget-friendly and easy to access, but not being effective with the use might nullify these benefits.
There are certain ways to use OER effectively in online education. If you are into online education, you need to know these ways to ensure that you go right with the OER usage. This blog explains them to you.
How Do You Use OER Effectively in Online Education?
Check out some of the best ways to use OER effectively in online education below.
- Modify the Material Effectively: OER is best used when you insert your inputs in it. Hence, when you get access to one, ensure that you go through it, and modify the same in the best interest of the students.
Effective modification of OER would ensure that the students really get the best and a reliable resource to study from.
However, ensure that you don’t over-modify things. It might actually make the OER complex, and hence degrade the quality of education for the students.
- Not Every OER is Worth Using: Uploading things on the internet is quite easy in today’s era. It includes low-quality content too.
As a teacher, the job is yours to recognize which OER you can use, which you cannot. You will find several resources that aren’t matching the standards of high-quality education, and hence you must avoid using them.
Give yourself a considerable amount of time to figure out if the OER you are accessing is actually matching the standards of quality education. Not doing so will simply degrade the education quality, and it might even make them get the wrong education.
- Make OER Easily Accessible: OER can be best utilized only when they are easily accessible. Hence, as a teacher, ensure that every OER is easily accessible for the students.
You can provide them a link, or make it available in the downloaded form. Ultimately, no student must face accessibility issues with OER.
- Cover Every Detail with OER: Yes, OER is an extremely helpful resource, but there are chances that it misses out on several important concepts that are necessary from the student’s syllabus point of view.
Hence, ensure that you add them to the resource before delivering it to the students. The OER you use must cover every concept in detail. Compare the resource content and the syllabus at least once to verify if no topic or concept is missed out on.
- Don’t Ignore Visuals & Design Quality: Yes, content is what matters, but visuals and design quality matter too. These are the aspects which really invite students to study with interest.
Hence, verify the visuals of OER are really appealing. Don’t hesitate to make some modifications there too if they aren’t. The more appealing visuals & design are, the more it will invite students to study with the utmost interest and hence study well.
You might have seen several online portals with some amazing designs, and most of them are successful. This is because the visuals they use do half of the job for them
OER is an amazing help for both, teachers and students. However, it’s all on teachers to utilize them effectively and hence impart quality knowledge to the students.
In this world of online education, OER has actually made a lot of things easy and seamless. Hence, if you are a teacher, ensure that you don’t miss out on the major advantages that it offers. Keep the above tips in your mind, and nail them to ensure the efficient use of OER.
We ensure that all your requirements are catered to efficiently and securely. To book a demo session, reach out to us at +91 9898205483.
Image credits : Unsplash