If the study reports are to be believed, we cannot retain what we have studied for more than 20 minutes. This is why taking notes is crucial to ensure that things we study are always accessible and retained for a longer timeframe.
However, with the online classes being in the frame for a long-time, students often avoid taking notes as recordings are always accessible. Now, that’s a bad practice when considered from the retaining point of view. Yes, the way of taking notes has changed, but the importance stays the same.
This blog discusses some of the most effective ways of taking notes during online classes.
How do you take notes effectively while studying online?
Checkout some of the most effective ways of taking online notes while studying below.
- Only note down important things: With students attending online classes, they aren’t required to note down everything. Most educational portals make recordings available, which eliminates the need for noting down each and everything.Hence, note down only those things which are extremely important. Additionally, there is absolutely no requirement for writing full sentences. Just use abbreviations, and one-liners to note down things.
- Divide the notes into sections: As mentioned, you need to note down only important things when studying online. However, you can increase the effectiveness of the same by dividing them into sections.For instance, you can use the middle section of your book to note down one-liners, the left side of the book for keywords, and the right side for preparing a summary. However, you can assign the sections as per your understanding.Dividing the notes into sections will make skimming them easy for you to a considerable extent.
- Type rather than writing: This is another effective way to take notes during online classes. It would actually take less time, and as a result, improve your learning productivity during the online classes.Now is the era of technological advancements, and you can effectively incorporate taking notes by typing in your study strategy.
- Keep on Revising Notes: As much as taking notes is important, reviewing and revising them at timely intervals come with significant importance too.Give yourself at least 15-20 minutes to revise the notes you have prepared in the entire week to ensure that you are able to retain the concepts for a longer timeframe.Revising notes will keep the concepts fresh for you for a longer time period and hence ensure that you are benefitted from your examinations.
- Stay Organized with Everything: When taking notes in online classes, staying organized is a must. Always follow a set pattern of taking notes. Like, headlines followed by headings and headings followed by sub-topics.The more you stay organized, the easier it will be for you to revise your notes. Many students take notes without a set pattern which really makes it difficult for them to revise later on, which eventually impacts their performance in the exams.
Taking notes during the online lectures might be easy for you now. Yes, it takes fewer efforts to take notes during online classes, but taking them is absolutely important.
Next time when you take an online class, take notes by keeping the above things in your mind and notice the difference in terms of concept retention.
If you are looking to get more information, or if you are looking for the best education management system in India, ProEMS is your definite answer. Be it education management or fee management software in Dehradun, Vadodara, and all over India, we have got you covered efficiently. Do reach out to ProEMS at +91 9898205483 to know our services and to get demo of the amazing features our system comes alongside.
Image credit : Unsplash